Thursday 28 February 2013

I had a birthday last year! - 18 February 2013

First, I must make it clear that... I love Leighton Moss... I love RSPB reserves and before I get accused of being a male whatsit of some description... I love women too. However, the ageing lady (I'm not ageist either) that I, my wife, my friends and my fellow birders had to endure today, was an extreme example of what you can occasionally come up against when out for a quiet days birding at popular nature reserves.

To cut a long story short... we had enjoyed a great day at Leighton Moss (RSPB) with friends Amy and Chris. We saw lots of birds, with a great view of a Marsh Harrier and I saw my first Green Woodpecker for nearly 2 years. We had a great lunch (nice tuna balls Ames - pity about the carrot cake icing Chris), met some lovely people along the way and decided to end the day with an hour in the Eric Morecambe Hide. And that's where it went pear-shaped!

I just had time to find 3 Spotted Redshank for everyone before it happened... the arrival of Mrs Megaphone and her - surely by now deaf - accomplices! Showing absolutely no interest in the birds and sitting with her back to the water, off she went at maximum decibels...

"I COULD MURDER A CUPPA..."
"DO YOU KNOW WHO I SAW LAST WEEK..."
"BEST VICTORIA SPONGE I EVER HAD..."
"I HAD A BIRTHDAY LAST YEAR..."
"KNIT ONE PEARL ONE..."
"MARKS & SPENCERS, 3 FOR A POUND..."
"WHY IS EVERYONE LEAVING?"

And leave we did, in droves. It is not the first time that we have encountered this problem and I'm sure it will not be the last. But it was, I assure you, the most extreme example imaginable. Do these ignorant people not wonder why the rest of us speak so quietly, do they not ask themselves why hides empty shortly after they arrive?

The Eric Morecambe Hide was recently built and is brilliant. It is a short drive from the main reserve and is where a lot of visitors choose to end their day. Today it ended rather abruptly.
Well done Mrs Megaphone, you emptied it single handedly!

Some highlights...

Moss Bros Pintails - synchronised diving or drowning out the noise?

Grey Heron - wondering where the noise is coming from!

Mynah Heron


No comments:

Post a Comment