Saturday 9 February 2013

Lucky Loon at Marbury - 23 January 2013

I had a pleasant surprise this morning on my way to Marbury Country Park. I had stopped off for some breakfast when my phone tweeted with the message 'Great Northern Diver at Marbury CP'. Brilliant I thought, once I had checked that it was actually the bird and not that other great northern diver - Ashley Young!

Soon after, I was there watching it on the south side of Budworth Mere near to the fishing boats, which was again a stroke of luck as the mere is huge yet the bird was 5 minutes away from the car-park. After diving for 20 minutes, it took  a couple of ample sized roach and well satiated, drifted away to the far bank and was not seen again for some time.

Excited from seeing the GND, I almost forgot that I had seen the Bittern (briefly) in the corner reedbed where I had started from and also a Kingfisher as it flew from the corner channel.

I eventually got on with the walk that I had intended to do when leaving home this morning, and noted Great Crested Grebe, Blue - Great - Coal and Long-tailed Tits, Mallard, Mute Swan, Cormorant (20+), Coot, Wigeon, Grey Heron, Shelduck, Lapwing, Black-headed Gull, Robin, Blackbird, Chaffinch, Nuthatch, Jay and Dunnock.

Brilliant day, if somewhat lucky!

Great Northern Diver on Budworth Mere

Jay searches for food in Big Wood

Long-tailed Tit from Woodland Hide

No comments:

Post a Comment