Friday 14 June 2013

Around The Marsh and Through The Wood - 5 March 2013

A mid-morning march around the inner marsh of Marshside_1 today gave me 22 species:

Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Magpie, Feral Pigeon, Wood Pigeon, Crow, Mute Swan, Black-tailed Godwit, Robin, Avocet, Golden Plover, Shelduck, Lapwing, Teal, Oystercatcher, Jackdaw, Wigeon, Little Egret, Coot, Mallard, Moorhen and Canada Geese.

I moved on inland to Mere Sands Wood - where sadly no Bitterns have arrived this year - and added 11 more species:

Cormorant (24), Long-tailed Tit, Reed Bunting, Kingfisher, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Jay,
Great Black-backed Gull, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Dunnock and Pheasant.

I made a note of the rats that feed at the base of the feeders behind the visitor centre, as one of them was enormous! I hope it was gestational rather than morphogenic!

Taking the bird species count to 34 was a flock of 20 Waxwing, which I thought I had seen fly over MSW but wasn't sure until I caught up with them in a nearby garden near to the A59.

 First Avocet to arrive back to Marshside

Male Reed Bunting at Mere Sands Wood


No comments:

Post a Comment