Sunday 22 July 2012

Mere Sands Wood - 12 April 2012

Hello again, or for my Russian visitors; Здравствуйте, друзья.

High above the car-park at MSW a calling Chiffchaff proved as elusive as ever and I managed no more than an image silhouetted against the bright morning sky.

I first walked to the hide at the deep water Mere End lake, where a couple of Coot were busy looking for a nest site and a few Mallards could be seen at the southern end. A number of Canada Geese occupied the mid-water and a Canada x Greylag hybrid swam nearby as if knowing it didn't quite belong!

On to the viewing platform at End Lake and the wonderful site of this years first Mallard ducklings, a brood of 11, keeping up with mum by almost running across the water as if not yet heavy enough to break the surface tension.

The waters around Twin Island contained Shoveler, Greylag, more Mallards, Shelduck and the resident Cormorants.

I ended the morning relaxing on a bench in the meadow watching the wild rabbits, and accompanied by a Jay in the tree beside me. It either didn't know I was there or simply didn't care (I prefer the latter).

Canada Goose on Mere End

Jay - my rabbit watch companion

Who's watching who?

No comments:

Post a Comment